When do I have to complete my tax return to HMRC?

The tax year runs from April 6th to April 5th every year. It is always best to do your tax return as soon after April as possible so that you know what you have to pay. The return must be done by 31st January in the following year.

What happens if I submit my tax return late to HMRC?

There is a fine of £100 for late submission, but beware fines can run to £10 per day after three months. If a tax return is not submitted fines can be over £1200 annually.

How do I keep track of my income and expenditure throughout the year?

We have plenty of ways to help you keep track of your ins and outs. Download our specialist driver spreadsheet or weekly bookkeeping sheet, or sign up for our web portal that downloads to us.

Do you offer a bookkeeping service?

If this doesn’t suit, for an extra charge, you can choose our good old-fashioned bookkeeping service. Make an appointment or post your records to us (by recorded delivery please).

Will you submit my tax return to HMRC on my behalf or do I still have to do it?

We offer a complete service. We will prepare your tax return, you can check it online or come in and talk to one of our fully trained industry specialist accountants and when agreed we will submit your tax return for you. All included in one monthly fee.

What information do you need from me in order to get started?

To get started just call one of our specialist accountants on 020 8529 2600, email us at info@drivertax.co.uk or fill in our Eazi forms and we will guide you through the process.

Are there any payment plans available?

Yes. Although the tax return must be paid for in full before submission, we run an interest free payment system. Just ask a member of our team. We also accept credit and debit cards.

Are there any additional charges I need to be aware of?

We charge a set fee for your tax return and the entire process of production and submitting and even defending you from enquiries, and we always will. However, (sorry there is always a however) there are charges for extra work, such as accounts for buy-to-let properties or large share transactions and late filing, and investigations (although we do insurance for this). We only do this for extra hours that we have to work to protect your interests. Ask your consultant.

Who can I speak to if I have a complaint?

Be assured that if you are ever anything less than 100% satisfied with the service you receive from our tax consultant our client services team will do their best to rectify the situation. We are licensed by The CPAA (Certified Public Accounts Association) who also police our ethics and behaviour. Full details are in our terms and conditions.

What does bookkeeping help actually mean?

When we say do it your way, we mean it. You have to keep records, neither you or we have a choice in that, but we can do paper forms or online forms, booking on your phone or we can do tailor-made spreadsheets for your computer or notepad that are madly easy to use because we wrote them so that all you have to do is put your info in. If you absolutely, definitely cannot do anything but put invoices in a plastic bag (for an added cost) we will do it for you.

Also, if you want to buy your own bookkeeping software we are happy to work with you to learn your way around bookkeeping software. We are also SAGE bookkeeping partners, and can train and offer discounts on new packages.

If you can’t find an answer to a question you have, just give us a call – we’d be happy to help.